Vegetarian | Dairy free | Nut free
Smashed avocado is a staple when it comes to Aussie breakfasts! Once you learn how easy it is to make tasty smashed avo at home you won’t look back.
4 pastured eggs
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 large Genuinely Southern Forests avocado
1 tbsp lime juice
Handful mint and/or coriander leaves, finely chopped
4 slices of toast, to serve
1. To make the avo smash place the ingredients in a bowl, grab a fork and mash together lightly, giving it a few stirs in-between. Leave it slightly chunky or mash until smooth depending on your preference. Add salt and pepper and lime to your liking.
2. To make the poached eggs place a medium saucepan filled with water to just over halfway on a high heat on the stove, add the vinegar and let it come to a boil.
3. Place some paper towel on a plate next to the saucepan and have a slotted spoon ready to take out the eggs when cooked.
4. Once boiling, swirl the water using the slotted spoon, once there is a whirlpool in the middle crack the egg into the centre. To help keep the poached egg nice and round and cooking evenly, continue to swirl the water gently for the next twenty seconds until the egg has formed a definite rounded shape.
5. Create a new swirl and repeat the process with the second egg. For a perfect poached egg where some of the yolk is still runny, cook the eggs between 2 - 3 minutes before using your slotted spoon to remove them from the pan and draining them gently on the paper towel.
6. To serve place your toast slices on a plate, spread on a generous dollop of avo smash, then gently place the poached egg on top. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!
Recipe by Jenny Lam for Genuinely Southern Forests.