Winter in the Southern Forests means fresh walnuts. Soft cake and crunchy nuts - the perfect pairing.
350g shelled Southern Forests walnuts, toasted
4 eggs, separated
225 g caster sugar
Finely grated zest of 1 Southern Forests lemon
Lemon Butter Cream
230g unsalted butter, softened
Pinch sea salt
420g pure icing sugar
1 Southern Forests lemon, zest and juice
1. In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and salt on medium-high speed until smooth (2 minutes).
2. While the butter is mixing, add the icing sugar 2 tbsp at a time until completely mixed.
3. Add the zest and lemon juice and continue to beat for another minute. Taste and add more zest or juice as you see fit.
1. Pulverize the walnuts in a food processor until you have a coarse meal, the texture of sand.
2. Prepare a round 25cm diameter spring loaded cake pan by greasing and lining it with greaseproof paper (don't forget the sides!).
3. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until pale and creamy. Add the lemon zest and walnut meal and stir to combine. Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until they form stiff peaks. Fold the whites bit by bit into the walnut mixture until well combined.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and bake at 180º C for about 40 minutes, or until the cake appears firm when jiggled. Let cool completely in the pan before removing.
5. Once cool spread the lemon buttercream on top and enjoy with a cup of earl grey tea.
Recipe by Wade Drummond and photo by Jessica Wyld for Genuinely Southern Forests.