A warm and comforting recipe perfect for changing seasons.
Vegan / Nut free
Serves 4 as a side
2L vegetable or peanut oil
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup vodka
1 head cauliflower, cut into small 2cm florets
1/3 cup your favourite hot sauce
1 garlic clove, grated fine
Vegan Ranch Dressing
1 ½ cup vegan mayo
¼ cup non-dairy milk, unsweetened
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 cloves garlic, crushed fine
1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, minced
1 tbsp fresh dill, minced
1 tbsp shallot, minced
2 tbsp fresh chive, minced
½ tsp salt
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp fresh cracked pepper
1. Combine vegan ranch dressing ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and set aside.
2. Preheat oil to 175C in a large wok, pot or deep fryer.
3. Combine cornstarch, flour, baking powder, and 2tsp sea salt in a large bowl and whisk until well combined. Add water and vodka and whisk until a smooth batter is formed, adding up to 2 tbsp additional water if batter is too thick.
4. Add cauliflower to batter. Working one at a time, lift one piece and allow excess batter to drip off. Carefully lower into hot oil. Repeat with remaining cauliflower until wok or fryer is full. Do not crowd pan. Stir the cauliflower around and cook until evenly golden brown and crisp all over, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season immediately with salt. Keep warm while you fry the remaining cauliflower.
5. Combine hot sauce, garlic, and 1 tablespoon oil from fryer in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Toss fried cauliflower with sauce and serve alongside the ranch dressing.
Recipe by Wade Drummond and photo by Jessica Wyld for Genuinely Southern Forests.