There are many recipes for potato fritters but this one is the crispiest, quickest and easiest you’ll be reaching for time again.
Gluten free / Dairy free / Vegan / Nut free
Makes 12 small fritters
500 g Royal Blue or Dutch Cream Potatoes (substitute for Midnight Pearl or Crimson Pearl potatoes)
1 tsp salt
1 spring onion, finely chopped
1 tsp turmeric powder
60 g rice flour
sunflower oil, for frying
Peel and grate the potatoes. Place in a medium sized bowl and stir through the salt. Leave for 5 minutes. Using your hands, squeeze out and discard as much liquid as possible. Stir through the spring onions, turmeric and rice flour until well combined. Shallow fry soup spoon full amounts in hot sunflower oil until golden brown and crispy.
• Goats cheese, apple & beetroot finely julienned, fresh dill
• Avocado slices, sour cream, chopped chives & chilli flakes
• Mayo, boiled pastured egg, capers & chopped parsley
• Soft brie and slices of fresh truffle (June – August)
• Add ½ cup corn in raw mixture. Serve with chopped coriander mixed into yoghurt to dip
• Substitute ½ the quantity of potato for pumpkin
• Add 80g finely chopped ham or bacon to the raw mixture. Make a larger fritter & top with a poached egg
Recipe by Sophie Zalokar and photo by Craig Kinder for Genuinely Southern Forests.